Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why this blog?

As a memoirist, I am in the business of telling the truth, only what is truth, if not a slippery slope of reconstituted memories, which together, string us to each other in a process we call history. Since cancer came to knock on my door two years ago, I sharpened my truth-seeking lens until it became almost blinding. I want to live in all honesty. But being honest and seeking something, anything that is not an approximation of itself can become a full-time job, unpaid. Much like choosing practices as unpalatable as not wearing deodorant, telling the truth can come with some undesirable side effects like making people uncomfortable. Regardless of the collateral damage of telling the truth, I have wandered too far into its dangerous territory to turn back now and I am not quite far enough into it that I can find the solace or the comfort of a place I can even begin to call home. So why not blog about my thoughts on this mad world in which we live and see if any of it brings back an echo, a word, or another person’s voice. My prayer is that it does. Writing is what reminds us that we are not alone in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment